Wednesday, June 5, 2013

MANE-ly Speaking - Marcia


All this talk about hair color had me on the hunt for colorspiration 
So almost a month ago , I came across this beauty on Instagram & was captivated by her colored curls
 I wanted to know her hair story and had to share with you guys.
Enjoy =)



Who are you?
My name is Marcia Watson. I was born and raised in a small town in Louisiana. 
3 words you would use to describe yourself.
Smart, Ambitious, God-fearing

Why did you go natural?
I decided to return to my natural roots because I missed having big curly hair as I did before my first relaxer. I would wear my relaxed hair curly all the time trying to achieve the “natural” look but it would never get half way there! I decided to get on youtube one day (sometime in 2009) and find out how I could get my big curly hair back. I did not know Taren Guy came up. I looked at just about all of her videos and this is when I learned the definition of natural hair! 
Was it difficult or easy to go natural?
I would say that the transitioning phase was hard. I only transitioned for 3 months but I flat ironed the entire time. I could not care for both textures so flat ironing was the best way for me to handle my hair. I did my second big chop but still had plenty of straight ends from the flat ironing so I decided to do a third a few months later to get rid of all straight ends. My final chop was in June 2011. 

4 words to describe your mane.
Curly. Wild. Voluminous & Fun!
Tell us a little about your regimen. (Do include the bits about your hair color and how your regimen has changed due to the color, if there are any changes.)
My regimen itself has not changed since I’ve colored my hair. (however, my hair was straight after I colored it but the curls came back within a week after a few protein treatments). I would not recommend a protein treatment right after a color service because it will strip out your color. 
My regimen consists of co-washing once or twice a week and shampooing once or twice a month (depending on how much product buildup that I have). 


I wash and go majority of the time, twists out every now and then, and protective styles throughout the year. I never keep my protective styles for longer than 2 weeks. I like for my hair to breathe.  
Products that I use are Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love   + I also make my own products which contain oils to make my hair healthy and promotes growth. 


What have you learned on your natural hair journey?
I learned that you must have patience, especially in the beginning stages of your natural hair journey. I can be a difficult process but patience is key. To those who are transitioning or recently big chopped, I want you to enjoy the journey and learn your hair texture. Everyone’s hair is different but it’s important to embrace the hair that is growing out of YOUR scalp. 

Follow Marcia on Instagram here


1 comment: