Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Independence

Today marks the 51st anniversary of Independence for my beautiful country Jamaica.
The country isn't perfect but we've accomplished so much in this time and impacted the world through music, the arts, our culture, food and sports. I wouldn't trade my heritage for anything in this world.
I'm a proud Jamaican :)


On the theme of Independence, thought I would share these movie trailers for 
'Half of a Yellow Sun' & 'Mandela: A Long Walk To Freedom'

These two movies got a lot of flack from people due to the casting decisions. Many people who read Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie were upset at the casting of Thandie Newton in the role of Olanna 
and for the Mandela film, Idris Elba as Nelson Mandela.
No lie I was a bit skeptical on both of these decisions but tried not to let that influence how I would view these movies. after watching the trailers, I'm highly intrigued and cannot wait to see both films.
I'm even going to re-read Half of a Yellow Sun in preparation. 

If you haven't read it yet, you need to. Such a great & gripping novel by an exceptional writer. Both of these films tell a story of struggle for independence and the issues that stem from that fight. Very fitting on this here momentous day for Jamaica.

Enjoy =)


No comments:

Post a Comment