Monday, September 30, 2013

Warm Cinnamon Apple Chips



Hello Candid Cinni followers! 
My name is Jessica of Jessiker Bakes and this is my guest post on Candid Cinni's blog. I am starting back my foodie posts and I will be doing foodie themed blog posts to satisfy your sweet (and sometimes savoury) cravings! Everyone does love to eat, right? Great. Today's post will be a delicious back to school/fall recipe!


Give us your feedback so I can cater these guest posts to your desires!
Happy reading and even happier eating! 
- Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes




If I had a list of “snacks I’m not sorry I fell in love with” this would be on it. Definitely near the top.
I’ve seen apple chips before and always thought it was a good idea but never tried it out. 
Then today, I grabbed 5 small apples aka about 2 1/2 regular sized apples, cored, sliced and just went at it!
Several slices and two filled baking trays later, I had my snack. Fast forward two and a half hours later, plus ten minutes cooling time…OKAY I opened the oven several times to “taste” the apples to ensure they were “baking correctly”…they’re covered in cinnamon do you blame me? They take forever to bake at a low temperature so that they crisp up but don’t burn; don’t do this if you don’t have 2 hours and patience!


Anyway, they are DELICIOUS. They become much crunchier once they’ve come out of the oven and the flavour..wow.



Best Part? 1/4 cup of these babies is only 40 calories. BAM! 1 cup of chips later I was full, happy and still healthy.
Pfft. I didn’t like potato chips anyway! Kinda…


recipe after the jump



Warm Cinnamon Apple Chips
Preheat oven to 200 F (100 C).
Thinly slice apples crosswise about 1/8-inch (2 mm) thick with a mandoline or sharp knife. Arrange apple slices in a single layer on two parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets.
In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Put mixture into a sieve and sprinkle evenly over apple slices.
Bake in the top and bottom third of the oven until apples are dry and crisp, about 2 hours. Remove from oven and let ‘chips’ cool completely before transferring to a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Makes about 2 cups (500 mL) of apple chips.
Per (1/4 cup) serving: about 40 cal, 11 g carb, 1 g fibre. %RDI: vit C 4%

No comments:

Post a Comment