Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Life & Death


Sitting in a coffee shop. Not drinking coffee. Waiting on my shift at work to start.
The soft rock playing at just the right volume and the low murmur of conversations provide a relaxing atmosphere as I munch on my supper

What I end up thinking about is a news report that absolutely turned my stomach.
A man was shot dead in a Florida cinema for texting during the previews. The previews.
What could possess a man to 1. carry a weapon to the movies and 2. To produce said weapon to then fire upon an innocent man for communicating not during the film but before!

It's ridiculous. I've seen many statuses and comments towards this story and one was along the lines of the man being annoyed. You got that irate to kill someone? Then that made me think of a personal sitiuation that occurred not too long ago. 
You see I get annoyed very easily at the weirdest, slightest things. I don't know why and I don't like. Special people in my life don't like it either. My annoyance can and has turned into rudeness which has caused more than one blowup. It affects my relationships. 
What's the difference between me and the murderer? I'm not one for violence and don't advocate owning weapons so there's that but my words are just as powerful. I can kill my relationships because of a misplace word. I can do great harm to someone because I let my emotions overtake me and my tongue becomes a weapon. 
Jesus spoke to me on that. We don't realize how powerful the words we speak are. We're all going to answer for every single one, one day. 

"In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire.” – James 3:5, NLT


1 comment:

  1. Wow! This was such a powerful post! Really made me think if the things that irritate me are worth my anger. The theater shooting really hurt my heart, too. Times like these really make us look at how we can react so wrong over something so minor. Thank you sharing that scripture and your heart. Much love and God bless!

    ReplyDelete