Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Foodie Wednesdays: Guest Post by Jessica from Jessiker Bakes {Black Velvet Cupcakes}

Hello Candid Cinni followers! My name is Jessica of Jessiker Bakes and this is my guest post on Candid Cinni's blog. Every Wednesday we will be doing a foodie themed blog post to satisfy your sweet (and sometimes savoury) cravings! Everyone does love to eat, right? Great. This week it's a way to incorporate something new and familiar (beer!) into your Thanksgiving celebrations! 

Give us your feedback so I can cater these guest posts to your desires!
Happy reading and even happier eating! 
- Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes

___________________________________________________________________________


Let me make two points -

1. I hate beer.
2. I am in love with these cupcakes.

I'm not sure, if it's the chocolate-y but not so chocolate-y flavour. If it's how deliciously moist they are: the most moist cupcakes I've ever tasted. If it was the distinct after taste. Or maybe it was how fluffy they were. Or the fact that I just did a little potion magic and turned Guinness into a sweet butterbeer-esque potion.

Whatever it was, these were so good.
I brought them to school, and my friends devoured them in I'm estimating about 2 seconds flat?
I converted non-chocolate lovers with these cupcakes.

I converted myself.


I would say I enjoyed them so much that I had 2, but I didn't have 2.

....
I had 3. 
Oh dear, that's pretty horrible isn't it? Especially since the smell was so intoxicating that I ate one about 4 seconds after it came out of the oven doing the infamous -it's-so-hot-it's-burning-my-tongue mouth blowing dance and enjoyed every second. Then I thought about them all the way until the next morning and started my day with one.

Then I kept one back in the fridge to have after class since Tuesdays are my roughest day. Yum.

Let me know what you think!

P.S. I left out the almonds.



  • Ingredients
  • 100g softened butter , plus extra for greasing
  • 175g light brown soft sugar
  • egg
  • 100g self-raising flour
  • 50g ground almonds
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 5 tbsp cocoa , plus a little extra for decorating
  • 150ml Guinness

  • 200ml double cream
  • 25g icing sugar
  • splash Champagne (optional)


Method

  1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line the bases of 6 dariole moulds with baking parchment. Put the butter, sugar, egg, flour, ground almonds, bicarbonate, cocoa and Guinness in a mixing bowl. Beat together until lump-free. Divide between the tins then bake for 20-25 mins until risen and a skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool for 15 mins, then remove from tins and cool completely - the same way up they baked, don't turn upside-down.
  2. Whip cream with the icing sugar and splash of Champagne, if using, until thick. Spoon a dollop onto the top of each cake and dust with a touch of cocoa. Serve with glasses of Champagne or Black Velvets for pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment