Sunday, April 28, 2013

MANE-ly Speaking - Anniki

Got a chance to catch up with the freckled faced beauty that is Anniki.
If you're just as curious as I was about this red-haired lady who hails from Jamaica, 
read on for what she has to say about her luscious mane.




Who are you?
I am Anniki Witter, an almost 3 year medical student/dancer in Jamaica. 

3 words you would use to describe yourself.
Outspoken, Analytical, Wild

Why did you go natural?
I went natural because I realized that I much preferred my “newgrowth” to my processed hair. It is also true that my sisters and classmates began transitioning or had already transitioned, so my social environment definitely facilitated my interest when I was ready to make the change.




Was it difficult or easy to go natural?
The decision itself was easy. I no longer thought of my processed hair as MINE. It seemed that it was someone else’s and that the only hair that belonged to me on my head was 1cm long. So, I wanted to chop it off and that was FINAL! BUT of course, there was discouragement LEFT RIGHT AND CENTRE! Even the “natural” hairdresser (who of course had her weave in) told me on arrival that my face was too fat to wear my hair short. I was scared, and waited another month before returning to her (I was in Minnesota, not much black people options :) and insisting that she cut it off. AND SHE DID! Some loved it. Some hated it. But most importantly, I was happy.



4 words to describe your mane.
Red, Wild, Curly, Perfect

Tell us a little about your regimen.
Well, to be honest, my regimen would be much more regular and complex if I wasn’t a poor and busy medical student. Everyday, I get up, I wet my hair regardless of the style (wash and go OR bun). 
I always leave a little conditioner in my hair & use Eco-Styler Gel because its cheap and it gets the job done. My real favourite gel is Kinky Curly Curling Custard
My favourite styling product is Miss Jessie’s Curly Pudding. (I just tried Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls too: not bad, smells nice, bigger curls.) 

I use Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk for moisture. No matter what I do, I try to seal the ends of my hair with Coconut Oil (to combat damage). I also sleep on a satin pillow case. I shampoo my hair RARELY (at most twice a month, at least once a month). It’s too harsh! It dries my hair out! But I do need to remove build up, so when I shampoo, I slap on my Aloe Vera concoction immediately (Aloe Vera from in my yard blended with Coconut Oil and Honey) to moisturize and condition.



What have you learned on your natural hair journey?
I learnt to love myself a little more. I learnt that people are going to have all sorts of opinions and reactions to your appearance but that has more to do with them and their issues than it has to do with yours. I’ve always been a confident person, but no girl wants to be ugly. Every girl wants to be perfect. I learnt to be content with my perfection, not someone else’s.

MANE-ly speaking.. 

I’d like to encourage anyone who is thinking about going natural to GO FOR IT! And not because you want your hair to look like mine. It won’t. It will look like yours and it will be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment