There will be a weekly post done by Shonique D. Thomas of caughtupinmyreverie.tumblr.com. She is a student at the University of Florida currently studying Marketing. Shonique has a passion for fashion so her weekly posts will be fashion oriented.
Enjoy =) Check it out after the jump
FALL ESSENTIALS & ADDITIONAL TIPS
“Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting, and fall – a mosaic of them all.” – Stanley Horowitz.
Fall has to be my favorite season of the year. I find the weather to be perfect: cold enough for layers, but warm enough for shorts! With that being said, today I’m going to share with you six key items for fall.
Nude Oxfords: This is definitely a key piece for fall this year. I would actually encourage one to spend a little extra and invest in a solid pair – I promise you that it is worth it. Nude Oxfords are so workable and there are so many variations in terms of style. You will get so much wear out of it! It is one of those items that you can both dress up and dress down. You can pair it with a blazer for a more refined, sophisticated look, but you can also pair it with a crop top and distressed denim shorts for a more casual look.
Denim Shirt: Buy one! It’s that simple. My personal preference is the light denim shirt, but if you can afford to buy both light and dark, do so! It is one of those items that you can wear everyday and each day is a different look. You can wear it tucked in, tie the front, wear it opened, etc! I would advise one to buy a size larger than they are to facilitate freedom in terms of how you wear it.
Combat Boots: Sometimes referred to as boyfriend boots. If you’re looking to bring some edge to an otherwise boring outfit – this is one way you can do so. I love when girls pair it with dresses or a feminine outfit – very edgy meets chic!
Oversized Blazers: There’s this huge move from tight, form-fitting clothes to loose, oversized clothing this fall in women, and I love it. Very career chic. Looks amazing with dresses and cuffed sleeves!
Fedora/Bowler Hat: It’s amazing what a hat can do for an outfit – it definitely adds a certain “umph” to it! Takes you from cute to stylish! Personal preference: straw fedora hat and black bowler hat.
Cross-Body Bags: I absolutely love these bags, especially the small ones. They are so convenient and CHEAP! They’re perfect for the girl who is not a major bag person and just likes to be able to carry around the basics. They also give outfits a pop! Not to mention there is such a wide variety
This is by no means a complete list, but I do believe that these are the key ingredients to any fall ensemble. In addition:-
1. Invest in tank tops – different colors, different styles. They are perfect for layering; hence, perfect for Fall.
2. You can’t go wrong with leggings/jeggings either – very comfortable.
3. Play with colors and prints. Tribal, floral, and abstract prints are very trendy right now. Coral, mint, turquoise, taupe, fuchsia, mustard yellow and burnt orange are popular colors.
4. Statement necklaces, cuffs, chunky bracelets, full finger rings, vintage and elaborate earrings and broaches are popular for accessories.
5. No such thing as too many scarves. Buy as much as your pocket allows!
6. If you’re not a hat person, experiment with headwear: turbans, headbands, bows, etc!
7. Don’t shy away from maxi clothing. They are very chic.
8. Harem pants for the brave! Wide-legged pants for the retro!
Shonique D. Thomas.